See below for key program dates and school closures when Read Ahead will not be in session. Also included is a monthly theme, which will be explored with your Program Coordinator through a fun icebreaker, book recommendations, or special activity.
This calendar was last updated on Monday, January 3, 2022. Dates are subject to change and mentors will be notified as soon as possible if schedules need to change.
November 2021 Read Ahead Sessions Begin
Each match will begin 1:1 program sessions between the week of November 1st and the week of November 8th. Your Program Coordinator will confirm your start date.
- Wed. November 3 – Thurs. November 4: K-8 Parent Teacher Conferences, No Read Ahead
- Thurs. November 11: Schools closed for Veterans Day, No Read Ahead
- Weds. November 24: No Read Ahead
- Thurs. November 25 – Fri. November 26: Schools closed for Thanksgiving Recess, No Read Ahead
- Sat. November 27: No Read Ahead
December 2021 Gratitude & Joy Month, Hispanic Heritage Month*
- Fri. December 24 – Fri. December 31: Schools closed for Winter Recess, No Read Ahead
*Hispanic Heritage Month is typically celebrated from Wednesday, September 15th – Friday, October 15th; however, due to the program launch timeline, we were unable to celebrate with Read Ahead matches. Program Coordinators will share some resources for you to engage with your mentee.
January 2022 National Mentoring Month
- Mon. January 3 – Fri. January 7: No Read Ahead
- Mon. January 10: Read Ahead Program Sessions Resume
- Mon. January 17: Schools closed for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, No Read Ahead
February 2022 Black History Month
- Tues. February 1: Schools closed for Lunar New Year, No Read Ahead
- Mon. February 21 – Fri. February 25: Schools closed for Midwinter Recess, No Read Ahead
- Sat. February 26: No Read Ahead
March 2022 Women’s History Month
- Wed. March 2 – Thurs. March 3: K-8 Evening Parent Teacher Conferences, No Read Ahead
- Tues. March 29 – Thurs. March 31: Read Ahead may be cancelled due to ELA testing; Program Coordinator will share any scheduling modifications
April 2022 Earth & Environmental Awareness Month
- Fri. April 15 – Fri. April 22: Schools closed for Spring Recess, No Read Ahead
- Sat. April 23: No Read Ahead
- Tues. April 26 – Thurs. April 28: Read Ahead may be cancelled due to math testing; Program Coordinator will share any scheduling modifications
May 2022 Asian American Pacific Islander Month
- Mon. May 2: Schools closed for Eid Al-Fitr, No Read Ahead
- Mon. May 30: Schools closed for Memorial Day, No Read Ahead
June 2022 Final week of Read Ahead Sessions are June 6 – June 10, 2022
- Mon. June 6 – Sat. June 11: Final week of Read Ahead sessions*
- Tues. June 7: Schools closed for Clerical Day (No Read Ahead)
- Thurs. June 9: Schools closed for Anniversary Day/Chancellor’s Conference Day for teachers (No Read Ahead)
*If you are participating in Read Ahead sessions on Tuesdays or Thursdays, your final session will be the week of May 30.
*Note: Testing schedules vary by school and may include other dates from April-June. Program Coordinators will inform mentors of any schedule changes as soon as Read Ahead is made aware of them!