Mission & Vision
Read Ahead develops in students the social-emotional skills essential for academic and lifelong success through reading-based mentoring. Our vision is that our students have the opportunity to unlock their full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead supports NYC children experiencing the adverse effects of poverty by connecting them to caring adult mentors who increase their chances for healthy social-emotional development. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors give their mentees the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteer mentors from over 40 corporate and community partners with public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. In 2017-2018, Read Ahead served over 1,000 children and engaged over 1,400 mentors.
About the Position
Read Ahead seeks a Manager, Volunteer Engagement who is passionate about creating meaningful and superbly executed volunteer opportunities to join our fast-paced, collaborative team. This is an exciting position for a self-directed, process-oriented individual to impact the volunteer experience of over 1,400 NYC volunteers annually. The Manager, Volunteer Engagement will oversee the volunteer lifecycle, leading volunteer engagement initiatives and managing volunteer operations. The Manager, Volunteer Engagement will report to the Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation.
- Oversee annual volunteer mentor onboarding process, including screening applications, facilitating training and background checks, and supporting placement and matching
- Coordinate volunteer mentor training sessions, including scheduling with hosts and trainers, creating training materials, scheduling volunteers for sessions, and logistical support
- Maintain accurate volunteer information in Read Ahead’s CRM, and prepare reports as needed
- Serve as Read Ahead’s point person for current and prospective volunteer questions
- Plan and lead volunteer engagement efforts, including engagement events
- Develop and execute initiatives to recognize volunteers for their contributions
- Research and stay up to date on best practices in volunteer management
- Support one-day service events and other special programming that include volunteers
- Support the Director, Strategic Partnerships in all aspects of volunteer recruitment
- Collaborate with the Manager, Corporate Partnerships on corporate volunteer initiatives
- Contribute as needed to additional aspects of Read Ahead’s program operations
Skills and qualifications
- Commitment to Read Ahead’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2 years’ prior work experience, with a preference for volunteer management experience
- Self-directed and comfortable working in a small, fast-paced team environment
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to maintain timelines
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Experience with event planning a plus
- Experience with CRMs and data management a plus
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience and organizational size. Highly competitive benefits package:
- 90% health and 100% dental care coverage
- $3,000 annual employer-funded HRA
- 3% 403(b) match
- Pre-tax FSA and Vision Plans offered
- TransitChek pre-tax commuter travel benefit.
- Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year; four weeks’ vacation after initial year; one week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day. 13 paid sick/personal days.
- Read Ahead office closed for all federal holidays.
- Remote work policy offered.
Read Ahead is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining how your experience, skills, and interests make you a fit for this position to Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation, Ariela Rosenberg-Brafman, [email protected]. Please write “Manager, Volunteer Engagement” in the subject line. Please note that applications without this information will not be considered. No phone calls please.