Thank you for your interest in the Read Ahead Junior Board!
The Read Ahead Junior Board is a group of dedicated young professionals in their 20s and 30s from various industries who support Read Ahead’s vision of unlocking a child’s full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
The leadership team seeks enthusiastic individuals and emerging leaders who can commit to a full year of being champions for Read Ahead’s invaluable work. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is eager to give back to the community in a meaningful way while achieving their personal and professional goals through board service.
Please see below for an outline of the high-level commitments that each member must agree to upon being accepted as a Junior Board member:
- Engagement: All members should actively serve on one of the three subcommittees (governance and recruitment, events and sponsorship or marketing and communications) and attend at least 75% of all meetings (in person) and events held September 2019 – June 2020.
- Fundraising: All members agree to a fundraising minimum of $750 that helps the Junior Board reach the overall fundraising goal that supports the high-needs elementary schools Read Ahead serves in Brooklyn, Chinatown, and Harlem. All members are expected to participate in the Junior Board’s annual bowling fundraiser.
- Mission engagement: All members will either be a Read Ahead mentor, attend the mentor training, or shadow one Read Ahead session to familiarize themselves with the mission.
Some of the many benefits of joining the Read Ahead Junior Board include:
- Access to fun events and a new social network of like-minded young professionals in New York City.
- Professional development opportunities and potential networking with the Read Ahead Board of Directors.
- Opportunity to be a Read Ahead mentor if your company is not a current partner organization.
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions prior to submitting your application. The application will be available through Thursday, August 1. All acceptance letters will be sent no later than August 23 following a review by the governance and recruitment committee.