Supervisor: Emily Williams, Senior Manager, Program Operations
Start date: August 2019
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead connects children from underserved communities with caring, trusted, consistent mentors in a fun, kid-friendly environment. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors give their mentees the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteers from over 40 corporate and community partners with New York City public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. During the 2019-2020 school year, Read Ahead expects to match over 1,000 students with about 1,500 mentors.
Program Coordinators act as ambassadors of Read Ahead and are the primary liaisons among Read Ahead headquarters staff, partner school staff, mentees, and mentors. Program Coordinators are responsible for ensuring that program runs smoothly at their schools, that matches are supported, and that program goals are met. Program Coordinators work between 9am and 2pm, between Monday – Friday, at their school. Specific days, hours, and times depend on school site placement. Program Coordinators also spend approximately 1–2 hours per week on administrative and organizational work outside of regular program hours and are involved in at least one working group. Occasional required meetings, training sessions, or other events at Read Ahead headquarters or other locations also take place outside of regular hours.
Positions are available at the following partner schools:
- PS 51 (525 W 44th Street): 5 days/week (Monday-Friday), approximately 20 hours/week
- PS 111 (440 W 53rd Street): 5 days/week (Monday-Friday), approximately 20 hours/week
- PS 125 (425 W 123rd Street): 5 days/week (Monday-Friday), approximately 20 hours/week
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building, organizational, and communication skills, and has experience using technology (especially Gmail, Google Drive, databases, spreadsheets, and smartphones). This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about children, mentoring, reading, and/or volunteerism and who can commit to working part-time hours from mid to late-August 2019 through mid-June 2020. Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting is required. The rate of pay is $17 per hour.
- Manage day to day operations of program delivery at designated school partner, including student enrollment, matching mentors and mentees, and mentor scheduling and communication
- Maintain professional and timely communication with all stakeholders
- Foster a fun, kid-friendly, and safe program environment
- Provide support and guidance to mentors and mentees to promote success in the program, including monitoring mentoring sessions, regular check ins outside of program time, and participation in mentor match support/attunement
- Build relationships and collaborate with school leadership, teachers, and other staff to facilitate program delivery and support students in the program
- Lead occasional group and special program activities according to Read Ahead curriculum
- Collect and report accurate program data, including but not limited to mentor and mentee attendance, match support notes, and beginning and end of year surveys
- Complete all administrative tasks required to facilitate smooth programming, including but not limited to regular reporting to headquarters and online data entry
- Participate in at least one working group with colleagues over the course of the year
- Support development initiatives, including but not limited to taking and sharing program photographs and highlighting mentor and mentee success stories
- Plan, coordinate, and support school-based and external events as needed
- Attend required trainings and meetings during the school year outside of regular hours, at Read Ahead headquarters or other locations
- Bachelor’s degree, or high school diploma plus two years of volunteer or youth management experience required
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and problem-solve in a dynamic environment
- Experience in relationship-building and working effectively with different types of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including email
- Proactivity and self-management skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Experience with or demonstrated ability to learn how to use technology, including but not limited to online databases, Gmail, Google Drive, spreadsheets, and smartphones
- Experience working with elementary school students, corporate volunteers, and/or in New York City public schools a plus
How to apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to Emily Williams at email@example.com with the subject line “[NAME], 2019-2020 Program Coordinator application”. In your cover letter, include why you are interested in working for Read Ahead, why you are seeking a part-time job, and whether you have a preferred school assignment based on the available positions. Interviews will start Monday, July 22. No phone calls please.