Title: Part-time Program Coordinator PS 110
Supervisor: Emily Williams, Senior Manager, Program Operations
Start date: February 25, 2018
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead connects children from underserved communities with caring, trusted, consistent mentors in a fun, kid-friendly environment. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors give their mentees the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteers from over 40 corporate and community partners with New York City public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. During the 2018-2019 school year, Read Ahead expects to match over 1,000 students with about 1,500 mentors.
Program Coordinators act as ambassadors of Read Ahead and are the primary liaisons among Read Ahead headquarters staff, partner school staff, mentees, and mentors. Program Coordinators are responsible for ensuring that program runs smoothly at their schools, that matches are supported, and that program goals are met. Program Coordinators work between about 10am and 1:30/2pm, Wednesday and Thursday, at their school, PS 110 (285 Delancey Street). Program Coordinators also spend approximately 1–2 hours per week on administrative and organizational work outside of regular program hours for a total of about 8 hours/week. Occasional required meetings, training sessions, or other events at Read Ahead headquarters or other locations also take place outside of regular hours.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building, organizational, and communication skills, and has experience using technology (especially Gmail, Google Drive, spreadsheets, and smartphones). This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about children, mentoring, reading, and/or volunteerism and who can commit to working part-time hours from late-February through mid-June 2019. Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting is required. The rate of pay is between $15–$17 per hour, depending on experience.
- Manage day to day operations of program delivery at designated school partner, including student enrollment, matching mentors and mentees, and mentor scheduling and communication
- Maintain professional and timely communication with all stakeholders
- Foster a fun, kid-friendly, and safe program environment
- Provide support and guidance to mentors and mentees to promote success in the program, including monitoring mentoring sessions and regular check ins outside of program time
- Build relationships and collaborate with school leadership, teachers, and other staff to facilitate program delivery and support students in the program
- Lead occasional group and special program activities according to Read Ahead curriculum
- Collect and report accurate program data, including but not limited to mentor and mentee attendance, match support notes, and beginning and end of year surveys
- Complete all administrative tasks required to facilitate smooth programming, including but not limited to regular reporting to headquarters and online data entry
- Support development initiatives, including but not limited to taking and sharing program photographs and highlighting mentor and mentee success stories
- Plan, coordinate, and support school-based and external events as needed
- Attend required trainings and meetings during the school year outside of regular hours, at Read Ahead headquarters or other locations
- Bachelor’s degree, or high school diploma plus two years of volunteer or youth management experience required
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and problem-solve in a dynamic environment
- Experience in relationship-building and working effectively with different types of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including email
- Proactivity and self-management skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Experience with or demonstrated ability to learn how to use technology, including but not limited to online databases, Gmail, Google Drive, spreadsheets, and smartphones
- Experience working with elementary school students, corporate volunteers, and/or in New York City public schools a plus
How to applySubmit a resume and cover letter to Emily Williams firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[NAME], Program Coordinator PS 110 application”. In your cover letter, include why you are interested in working for Read Ahead, specifically the Program Coordinator position, and why you are seeking a part-time job. No phone calls please.