Mission & Vision
Read Ahead develops in students the social-emotional skills essential for academic and lifelong success through reading-based mentoring. Our vision is that our students have the opportunity to unlock their full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead supports NYC children experiencing the adverse effects of poverty by connecting them to caring adult mentors who increase their chances for healthy social-emotional development. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors help their mentees develop the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteer mentors from over 40 corporate and community partners with public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. In 2017-2018, Read Ahead served over 1,000 children and engaged over 1,400 mentors.
About the Position
Read Ahead seeks a driven, organized, and entrepreneurial Manager, Corporate Partnerships to join our development team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about corporate volunteerism and youth development, and eager to contribute to a growing and dynamic organization.
The Manager, Corporate Partnerships will play a key role on a small, collaborative, and results-oriented team, and be responsible for developing and participating in best-in-class stewardship plans for Read Ahead’s 30-40 corporate partners, as well as new business development. The Manager, Corporate Partnerships will report to the Senior Director, Development & Communications (SDDC).
A full description of responsibilities is included below, but the primary focus in the first 6 months of this position will be to 1) develop a strong understanding of Read Ahead’s corporate partnership model and collaborative team structure 2) coordinate and lead 3+ fee-for-service volunteer events in May-June and 3) support the partnership renewal process by attending meetings and updating grant reports/applications as needed.
Weekly program partnerships: Drive engagement strategy for new and continuing corporate sponsors, building strong and mutually beneficial partnerships
- In collaboration with SDDC, identify, cultivate, and secure new corporate sponsors for Read Ahead’s signature weekly program
- Develop and execute stewardship strategy for each corporate partner including:
- Annual partnership meetings with liaisons, and regular touchpoints throughout the year
- Annual calendar of communication/recognition opportunities, including public recognition (via RA website, blog, social media), and regular reporting on impact directly to partners
- Lead on corporate grant applications and reports to corporate sponsors, as required
- With the support of the Associate, Development Operations, track donations and ensure timely and accurate recording of partnership notes and information using CRM database
- Collaborate with Program team to ensure unified and streamlined communication and stewardship at the company and individual volunteer level
Corporate Service Day Events: Develop and execute a high-quality corporate volunteer engagement program that generates revenue, aligns with Read Ahead strategic priorities, and enhances Read Ahead programmatic offerings
- With support of SDDC, develop pipeline of new and continuing partners for fee-for-service events, pitch to partners, and close fee-for-service days in line with annual revenue targets and strategic goals
- In consultation with Program team, create a ‘Menu of Services’ of out-of-the-box events that can be customized for partners, including different types of kit building activities, new mini-Read Ahead session curricula, etc.
- Design, plan, and execute (in consultation and collaboration with Director, Strategic Partnerships and Program team) in-office and school-based events that create a positive experience for corporate volunteers and student participants
- Create appreciation and stewardship plan for event participants to thank them for volunteering, and engage new supporters for Read Ahead
Dollars-for-hours programs: Manage all processes and reporting for corporate partner “dollars-for-hours” programs, with the goal of maximizing Read Ahead’s participation and revenue generated
- Maintain understanding of current partner program requirements and Read Ahead mentor eligibility
- Lead process to encourage mentor participation, including communication with corporate liaisons as needed, collaboration with Program team to audit volunteer hours, and communication/follow-up with mentors
Other Corporate Engagement: Support additional corporate engagement opportunities in collaboration with other staff members
- Identify company-specific opportunities (e.g. employee-led fundraising such as Macquarie Foundation Week) and support fundraisers to execute events and initiatives
- Provide strategic guidance and outreach to engage corporate sponsors in support of Read Ahead’s annual gala
- Lead book in-kind request process and collaborate with Development Operations Associate to ensure proper documentation and recognition for corporate in-kind gifts
- Support Development and Operations Associate to identify corporate matching policies and ensure Read Ahead is maximizing match dollars
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in a development/fundraising role
- Experience and excitement for planning and executing corporate volunteer events with 25 – 50 participants required; Experience creating events for and working with elementary-aged children a plus
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to stay organized, anticipate needs, and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure, juggle multiple priorities, manage time independently, and pivot when needed
- Ability to build relationships with corporate stakeholders, and communicate in a clear, compelling, and diplomatic way
- Strong desire for continuous growth and improvement on an individual and organizational level
- Comfort with learning new systems and technologies, and a commitment to leveraging data to build organizational knowledge and drive strategy
- Enthusiasm for Read Ahead’s mission and vision
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience and organizational size. Highly competitive benefits package:
- 90% health and 100% dental care coverage
- $3,000 annual employer-funded HRA
- 3% 403(b) match
- Pre-tax FSA and Vision Plans offered
- TransitChek pre-tax commuter travel benefit.
- Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year; four weeks’ vacation after initial year; one week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day. 13 paid sick/personal days.
- Read Ahead office closed for all federal holidays.
- Remote work policy offered.
Read Ahead is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply:Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter explaining how your experience, skills, and interests make you a fit for this position to Ariel Grace, Senior Director, Development & Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Manager, Corporate Partnerships” in the subject line. Applications without all requested information will not be considered. No phone calls please.